Derby was a
French company that manufactured sports cars and
from 1920 through 1936. From 1920 to 1930, its cars were conventional with
proprietary engines from Ruby, Scap and Chapius Dornier.
Derby cars were
very successful with their racing cycle cars and
voiturettes with engines less
than 2 litres. After the original Derby Engineer,
Monsieur Montet, died the
company was bought by William Hawkes, an English racecar
Production of the Derby was limited to 10, with
different body styles.
Our Derby, VIN 803, has a roadster body called “Montlhery”.
was driven by Gwenda Stewart in the 1934 Monte Carlo
particular Derby was lost during the Second World War
and was later
saved by the museum of La Rochetaille.
In the 1950’s Lepicard and
his friend Monsieur Veniard bought the car. Lepicard
engine block for one of the engines mounted on a LeMans
1934. Otherwise, the car is original including its body