In 1921, Hans Ledwinka
was hired by Tatra and he designed a brand new
automobile: the T 11, which was introduced at Prague’s
Autosalon in 1923.
It was a revolution. The engine was a two cylinders flat
, air cooled of 1056 cc. A backbone or heavy tube was
connecting the front of the car with the drive train.
The rear wheels were on swinging axles. 10.000 T 11 and
T 12 were manufactured in eight years.
The T 75 is the last automobile built on the same
design. The production in the years to come will switch
to rear engines, but still with the same basic idea for
the body and the suspension : backbone and swing axles,
the trade mark of Tatra even for the trucks which are
still made today. In 1934, the engine was an air-cooled
four cylinder, with a capacity of 1688 cc. 4000 T 75
will be made, the last ones being delivered in 1939.