Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) was established to manufacture weapons for the British Government. At the end of the 19th century, they started making motorcycles and bicycles, adding automobiles in 1907. BSA’s first front wheel drive model appeared on the market in 1929. It was a three-wheeler that competed with and outsold the Morgan. To avoid the dirty chain between the front engine and the rear wheel (as found on the Morgan), BSA decided to adopt a front wheel drive layout, but eliminated the CV joints in order to help keep the cost down. Unlike the Morgan, the BSA had a reverse gear and an electric starter.