1916 OWEN MAGNETIC O-36 CHASSIS
Production Years: 1915-1922
Country: United States
Number Produced: 974
Owen Magnetic automobiles were manufactured from 1915 to 1922. The R.M. Owen & Company of New York, New York manufactured their cars in New York City in 1915 and then in Cleveland, Ohio, from 1916 to 1919. They then moved production to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania and manufactured automobiles there from 1920 to 1922.
These vehicles were notable for their use of an electromagnetic transmission and were early examples of an electric hybrid drivetrain. With a generator powered by a six-cylinder engine, power for the wheels used a similar electromagnetic principle that propelled the Battleship U.S.S. New Mexico. There is no direct mechanical connection between the gas motor and drive shaft.
This M25 chassis was formerly in the Tupelo Automobile Museum, was in need of a complete restoration and is now in running condition.